Yield: 24 Sticks | Total Time: 35 Minutes
Who doesn’t love a great appetizer course that includes deep fried mozzarella sticks? If you are on the keto diet, however, this may be hard to find at your local bar or restaurant.
With this recipe, you can bring America’s favorite appetizer home. It is easy enough to make, and you can make it ahead of time and keep a stash in the freezer for when the mozzarella stick craving strikes.
Learning how to make keto mozzarella sticks is fun. I feel like such a chef when I mess up my entire countertop making these! The kids will love to help you roll the sticks in the ‘breading’, too, so call them on into the kitchen!
The best part about this recipe is that it is completely keto. Each stick weighs in at less than 2 grams carbs, or 4% in the macros breakdown.
The next time you throw a party at your house and you have guests coming that are on the keto diet, you can serve them these low carb mozzarella sticks. In fact, you can serve them to everyone. They are so tasty, you’ll never miss the carbs.
Keto Mozzarella Sticks with Almond Flour
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Prep: 25 Minutes / Cook: 10 Minutes (Does not include overnight freezing time.)
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup brown flax meal
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, plus more
- 24 pieces string cheese
- 2 eggs
- canola oil, for frying
1. In a large bowl, mix together the first eight ingredients. Add a large spoon to the bowl for dispensing mixture into a shallow bowl (see step 5 below).
2. In a separate bowl, toss the string cheese with the 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Make sure they are completely coated!
3. In a third bowl, beat the eggs with a splash of heavy cream.
4. Fill a fourth (large) bowl with water and have a towel nearby. You will need this to clean your hands between coating each of the sticks of cheese. Trust me – you will appreciate having this nearby! Set a fifth bowl, a shallow one, next to the bowl with the flour mixture.
5. Spoon about a quarter cup of the dry mix into the shallow bowl. Roll one cheese stick in the seasoned dry mix. Quickly dunk it into the egg mixture, shake off the excess, then return it to the dry mix and roll it around until it is completely coated with the dry mix. Don’t forget to coat the ends! Set the stick on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and repeat with the remaining 23 sticks, adding more dry mix to the shallow bowl when needed. If the dry mix gets packed to the bottom of the bowl, break it up with a spoon. (It is important that you use the dry mix in small batches or it will get too moist and won’t adhere to the cheese.)
6. Freeze the mozzarella sticks overnight, then transfer them to a large ziplock bag until ready to use.
7. To prepare the mozzarella sticks, add enough canola oil into a large pot so that it is 2 inches deep. Heat the oil over medium-high until it is very hot and just beginning to smoke. Don’t worry, once you add the frozen cheese sticks in, the oil will cool a bit. Drop the mozzarella sticks into the hot oil so that they are not crowding the pan, you may have to fry them in batches. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to very carefully remove them to a plate lined with paper towels.
8. Serve immediately with sugar-free Homemade Chunky Marinara Sauce.
Like this recipe? Share the love! Made this recipe? Let me know how it went!