The secret to crispy baked chicken drumsticks is easy – dry brining! A homemade poultry rub gives this turmeric chicken just the right amount of flavor, no sauce needed! An easy weeknight dinner for family.
Adding ground turmeric to homemade chicken spice rubs will give them a golden color, but so will adding turmeric essential oil. In place of the ground turmeric, add turmeric essential oil to olive oil and rub it all over the meat. Using essential oil in recipes this way helps keep the meat moist inside while the skin dries out during the dry brining period.
This is the secret to crispy drumsticks that have the juiciest, most tender meat inside when you bite into them.
I am so happy with how these oven baked drumsticks turned out. There is a lot of flavor going on, but the balance of herbs, spices, salt and sweet is just right – so it isn’t overwhelming. The night I served these, I had completely spaced on making a dipping sauce, but as it turns out, none was needed.
These chicken drumsticks are perfect all by themselves.
Crispy Oven Baked Drumsticks with Turmeric
- gallon ziplock bag
- sheet pan
- wire rack
- 5 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 drops turmeric essential oil
- 4 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Pat clean chicken with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Thoroughly whisk the turmeric essential oil into the olive oil and rub onto each drumstick, making sure to coat all surfaces. Set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a gallon zip-lock bag and shake to mix well. Add half of the chicken drumsticks to the bag and shake well until the meat of coated all over. Repeat with the remaining chicken drumsticks.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on a sheet pan fitted with a wire rack. Refrigerate the chicken for a minimum of 8 hours, uncovered. (Letting the chicken chill while uncovered will dry out the skin slightly, causing it to crisp better when baking.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Transfer the sheet pan with the chicken to the oven, wire rack and all, for 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 170°F. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before plating. Serve with a side of red quinoa and rice blend with chopped fresh cilantro for garnishing.