Hawaiian pizza is the best option for those of you who like that sweet and salty thing, and if you are looking for the best homemade pizza recipe, then you might want to give this prosciutto pizza a try.
Gourmet Hawaiian Pizza
- Pizza Stone
- 1 prepared thin pizza crust room temperature
- 4 oz prosciutto
- ½ cup canned crushed pineapple
- 2 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella torn into ¾ inch pieces
- ½ cup Awesome Sauce
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes for garnish
- Heat a pizza stone in a 500°F oven for 20 minutes. Prepare the pizza crust that has been allowed to come to room temperature by rolling it into a circle as thin as you can get it without tearing it. Cover with a tea towel until ready to use.
- While the pizza stone is heating, you can prep all of the other ingredients. Begin by chopping or tearing the prosciutto into bite-sized pieces. Toss them a little at a time over a span of a couple of minutes into a small skillet heated over medium high. Once all of the prosciutto is added to the skillet, continue to heat the prosciutto, tossing occasionally with kitchen tongs to prevent burning, for a few more minutes. Remove fried prosciutto to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Empty the crushed pineapple into a fine mesh strainer set over a small, deep bowl or a wide-mouthed jar. Use a spoon to press the pineapple into the mesh to push out the juices, then scrape the pineapple back to the center of the mesh. Do this three or four times to drain off as much liquid as you can. Transfer the pineapple to a plate lined with several sheets of paper towel. Gather the pineapple in the paper towels and squeeze any remaining juice out. Transfer drained pineapple to a plate and set aside.
- Carefully remove the pizza stone from the oven and lay your prepared pizza crust on it. Turn the oven down to 450°F. Quickly brush a tablespoon of olive oil over the crust, then return the stone with the crust to the oven for a minute or two before removing it again. The crust should slide easily over the stone.
- Using a large spoon or an offset spatula, spread the Awesome Sauce on the pizza crust to come to within 1/4 inch of the edge of the dough. Working quickly, evenly sprinkle the pizza with the shredded mozzarella, followed by the prosciutto, and drained pineapple. Dot with the fresh mozzarella, being careful to stay away from the edges.
- Return the pizza to the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheeses melt and are slightly bubbly and the crust is beginning to brown along the edges. Carefully remove from the oven and slide the pizza off of the stone onto a large serving platter. Sprinkle the pizza with red pepper flakes, slice, and serve hot.