This is the best gourmet meatballs recipe to make if you are on a diet – or even if you aren’t.
Inspired by the ideas of lamb chops with mint jelly along with Greek gyros, these gourmet meatballs combine the bright flavors of spring herbs in a fresh mint sauce with hints of Mediterranean spices to make a delectable, light meal.
If you serve these up in the heat of summer, the dish is low carb, gluten free, and light enough to not leave you feeling weighed down after you eat it.
Lamb Meatballs with Mint Pesto and Sweet Yogurt Sauce makes a great addition to your recipe collection if you need fancy dinner menu ideas on the fly, are looking for new healthy dinner ideas, or just want to start out with some easy gourmet recipes to make at home.
I can’t think of a reason NOT to make these meatballs!
Lamb Meatballs with Mint Pesto and Sweet Yogurt Sauce
- Food Processor
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Kitchen Tongs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup flat parsley finely chopped, plus
- ¼ cup whole flat parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp plus 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 tsp fine sea salt plus more
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1 lb ground lamb
- ¼ cup whole mint leaves firmly packed
- ¼ cup whole milk plain greek yogurt
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- 3 to 4 drops liquid stevia
- a few grinds black peppercorns (from a pepper mill), or a pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg, coconut flour, cumin, turmeric, red pepper flakes, finely chopped parsley leaves, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt. Add the ground lamb and mix everything together well. Use your hands for best results!
- Roll the lamb mixture into balls that are about one inch in diameter. You should end up with around 20 meatballs. Place the meatballs on a rimmed baking sheet so that they are evenly spaced. Bake on the top rack in the oven for 12-15 minutes. When done, use kitchen tongs to roll the meatballs around on the baking sheet. This will smooth out any uneven edges as well as coat them in their juices for maximum flavor.
- While the meat is baking; add the mint leaves, whole parsley leaves, the second garlic clove, 1/4 cup olive oil, and a pinch of salt to a food processor. Pulse for about a minute or until leaves are very finely chopped and the pesto is beginning to get smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, peppermint essential oil, liquid stevia and fresh ground black pepper. Mix well until the yogurt is smooth and creamy and the flavors are evenly distributed.
- Smear a spoonful of yogurt sauce onto each plate. Drop a spoonful of mint pesto on top of the yogurt and smear the pesto into the yogurt using light, arcing motions. (Don't overdo it, though! You want to have distinct circles of white yogurt and green pesto covering the plates.). Place 5 meatballs on top of the sauce/pesto swirls, then top the meatballs with a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with a grind or two of fresh ground black pepper and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.