This cold strawberry soup is fully strawberry and yet fully savory. The first pop of savory fruit flavor melts into velvety, herby aromatics that pleasantly linger.
This savory strawberry recipe makes the perfect starter for a fancy meal – except that it’s so easy to make and all of the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store.
Sometimes the best recipes are the most unexpected. Try it and see!
Savory Chilled Strawberry Soup
- Electric Blender
- 2 lb fresh strawberries stems removed and cut in half
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup whole milk ricotta
- 2 oz mascarpone
- 2 tsp chopped shallot
- 1 drop basil essential oil
- 1 pinch ground black pepper plus more to taste
- ½ tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- chopped fresh chives for garnish
- course ground black pepper for garnish
- Puree the strawberries in an electric blender.
- Add all other ingredients to the blender and pulse to combine. When well mixed, taste and adjust the salt if necessary. This should be a savory soup, but too much salt will overpower the delicate flavors of the fruit. Start with a small pinch, then slowly add more, if desired.
- Serve chilled in small bowls with a swirl of heavy cream. Garnish with fresh chives and a grind of black pepper.