Serves: 4 | Total Time: 20 Minutes
Jump to Recipe
This get will soup recipe was born while I suffered through a bad bout of bronchitis in – of all seasons – summer!
Bronchitis in summer may seem like an odd occurrence, but it can happen. The last thing you feel like doing while sick is cooking (especially in the hotter months) but cooking is necessary if you want a good soup for when you are sick.
The good news is that this healing soup is easy to make and only takes 20 minutes if you keep a few items on hand.
The four healthy ingredients for sickness that make this a perfect soup for healing colds and flu are:
- cayenne pepper
- dried wakame
- sesame oil
- (Garlic with the skins left on, I must add. Those garlic skins have lots of immune boosting power!)
Dried wakame and sesame oil will keep indefinitely when stored properly, and the rest of the ingredients are easy to get if you need to make a quick run to the grocery store when not feeling well.
Since I am plagued with a compromised upper respiratory system and have had bronchitis and pneumonia more times than I can remember, I always have these healthy ingredients on hand… just in case. The tortellini will fill you up, so pick any kind you like, and bone broth is just yummy and full of healthy stuff. Both tortellini and bone broth can be kept in the freezer for weeks – or until you need them. If you don’t have bone broth, simply use beef, chicken, vegetable, whatever you have on hand. I just like using bone broth because it is so rich, perfect when your appetite might be as under the weather as you are. But hey, you gotta eat and this seaweed stew will go down easy – which makes this the best sick soup recipe ever!
I make a big batch of this immune boosting meal when I need it and because it is so flavorful, trust me… you won’t get tired of it if you eat it every day for a week. Serve it piping hot, and if you can, inhale the steam in between bites. The rest of the soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, (and believe me, you will want to have it every day until you are feeling better.)
- Did you know that the skins of garlic are rich in nutrients and have many health benefits? So, don’t throw them away! Click the link to read more about the health benefits of garlic skins (and the many other interesting ways you can use garlic and onion skins).
- Wakame is also packed with all kinds of good things for you. Click the link to learn more about the health benefits of wakame seaweed.
- There is a reason sesame oil has been used for centuries in Asian cuisine. Click to find out how the health benefits of sesame oil can help you.
- But wait… there’s more! Cayenne pepper has all kinds of feel good properties, too. Click to read about the health benefits of cayenne pepper.
Soup For When You Are Sick
- dutch oven or large pot
- large ladle
- heat-proof soup bowls
- 5 cups bone broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 head organic garlic cut in half crosswise with skins left on
- 2 tablespoons dried wakame
- 2 cups frozen tortellini of your choice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil for drizzling
- red pepper flakes for garnish
- Bring the bone broth and water to a rigorous boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the cayenne, garlic, scallions, wakame, and tortellini. Allow to simmer for another 5-8 minutes, or until the tortellini is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a ladle to spoon the soup into small crocks or heat-proof bowls. Drizzle with sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately, you want this soup to be piping hot.